At Systems Engineering, our mission is to enable the exceptional with our clients, employees, and the community.
Our Infrastructure team is seeking a full-time Infrastructure Engineer to join our talented and growing team of IT Professionals in Portland, Maine. This is a critical customer-facing role in delivering networking, security, and collaboration solutions.
Infrastructure Engineers work with and learn a wide variety of premier technology solutions. These include routing, switching, firewalls, and collaboration systems. Engineers work on the frontlines with hundreds of small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) in northern New England. They keep customers’ systems secure and reliable through the design, implementation, and maintenance of advanced technology solutions. Engineers also assist in enabling the power of technology to help businesses grow.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong technical background and an aptitude for learning new technologies. They must be committed to engineering excellence and exceptional customer service. The right candidate will also have outstanding problem-solving skills, and an ability to work both independently and as part of a strong team.
- Partner with clients, vendors, and other internal teams to drive good outcomes.
- Plan, implement, manage, and troubleshoot both network infrastructure and collaboration solutions.
- Manage, maintain, and prioritize assigned tasks and engagements.
- Work with our Customer Service team to manage scheduled tasks.
- Employ and improve Systems Engineering standard methodologies to deliver consistent and effective solutions.
- Mentor, teach, and share knowledge that improves team effectiveness and enhances the team’s growth.
- Adopt a culture of continuous improvement and a one-team mentality.
- Adapt to changing technologies by learning new technologies while building depth in other areas.
What We’re Looking For
- Experience implementing, managing, and troubleshooting network Infrastructure.
- Solving problems on various networking and collaboration technology platforms.
- Knowledge of the OSI Model and other networking principles. Broad knowledge of security including protection, detection, and incident response.Technical certifications or willingness to obtain/renew certifications within the first year. Preference is given to the following vendors:
- Hands-on experience with Cisco routing/switching, and Fortinet firewalls strongly preferred.
- An interest in scripting and automation is also desired.
- Strong customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills, demonstrating a high level of professionalism.
- Teammate accountable to assigned projects, and results-driven to meet customer needs.
- Effective critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills to obtain business solutions.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and time management skills, adapting to changing priorities, as needed.
Our Benefits & Culture
Systems Engineering is located in the heart of the Old Port in downtown Portland, beloved for a lively arts & entertainment scene, and an abundance of local craft breweries. We are positioned centrally to the waterfront, trails, parks, and restaurants, and have been repeatedly voted one of Maine’s Best Places to Work. We pride ourselves on being active in the community and proud to be 100% employee-owned. It is a great place to work because the team cares about each other and the company’s future.
- Employee Ownership (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) – Join our team of employee-owners and directly contribute to the strategic direction, growth, workplace culture, and future of the company.
- Employer 401k matching contributions.
- Competitive medical, dental, life, and disability insurance.
- Paid Time Off starting with 17 days PTO, nine paid holidays, two weeks paid parental leave, and paid community volunteer time.
- Engaging wellness programs, including onsite health coaching, fitness facility, and various company-sponsored teams and events.
- Career mobility, professional development, and training as well as certification opportunities.
- Dynamic, fun, and active community culture.
- Business casual work attire.
- Free paid parking in downtown Portland, just a couple blocks from our office.