SOC Technician 1 | Maine
At Systems Engineering, our mission is to enable the exceptional with our clients, employees, and the community.
Our Security Operations Team is seeking a full-time Technician to join our talented & growing team of IT Professionals. This role supports Systems Engineerings Managed Security offering, known as EventWatch, to drive improvement in the product and processes that aid in securing customer networks. SOC Technicians work independently and collaboratively with the SOC Team, are responsible for contributing to internal and external security infrastructure, and are expected to communicate effectively with clients on all facets of security offerings.
We are looking for a customer-focused, highly motivated individual, with a strong technical background who has exceptional troubleshooting and problem-solving skills. The right candidate will have great communication skills, an aptitude for working with and learning new security technologies, and an ability to work in fast-paced environments.
- Maintain service monitoring accuracy via SIEM dashboard. Review auditing procedures and execute change requests needed for network device additions, removals, or reconfigurations.
- Enter real-time ticket updates of time, status, and next steps. Remediate tickets generated by SIEM that are assigned to the Managed Security queue, escalating as needed.
- Act as an independent review and evaluation resource. Ensure that compliance issues and concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated, and resolved.
- Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk. Develop and implement corrective action plans for the resolution of problematic issues, and provide general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
- Ensure proper reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate.
- Configure and manage the SIEM system.
- Perform identified tasks outlined in the Systems Engineering Security Policy. Meet and comply with all company policies, guidelines, and requirements regarding security compliance.
What We’re Looking For
- Associate degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, or similar degree with a technology emphasis, and/or at least one year of related technical experience required.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Server OS, Firewall/IPS security concepts, and applications.
- Experience with port scanners, vulnerability scanners, syslog, configuration analyzers, limited command-line scripting, and router configuration.
- Demonstrated understanding of the effects of firewall configuration changes on mail flow, DNS, Network Address Translation (NAT), and Port Address Translation (PAT).
- Experience using and maintaining a SIEM monitoring application is strongly desired.
- Cisco ASA Firewall/FirePower or FortiGate experience preferred, but not required.
- Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills as well as excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Possess strong prioritization skills and can handle multiple tasks and projects concurrently.
- Customer-focused and results-driven; able to effectively work and communicate with internal and external clients.
- Must be able to work independently and exercise good judgment.
- Candidates must have reliable transportation and a clean driving record.
Our Benefits & Culture
Systems Engineering is located in the heart of the Old Port in downtown Portland, beloved for a lively arts & entertainment scene, and an abundance of local craft breweries. We are positioned centrally to the waterfront, trails, parks, and restaurants, and have been repeatedly voted one of . We pride ourselves on being active in the community and proud to be . It is a great place to work because the team cares about each other and the future of the company.
- (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) – Join our team of employee-owners and directly contribute to the strategic direction, growth, workplace culture, and future of the company.
- Employer 401k matching contributions.
- Competitive medical, dental, life, and disability insurance.
- Paid Time Off starting with 17 days PTO, nine paid holidays, two weeks paid parental leave, and paid community volunteer time.
- Engaging wellness programs including onsite health coaching, fitness facility, and various company-sponsored teams and events.
- Career mobility, professional development, and training & certification opportunities.
- Business casual work attire.