Network Infrastructure Engineer
At Systems Engineering, our mission is to enable the exceptional with our clients, employees, and the community.
Our Infrastructure team is seeking a full-time Network Infrastructure Engineer to join our talented and growing team of IT Professionals in Portland, Maine. Our Infrastructure team plays a critical customer-facing role in delivering networking, security, and collaboration solutions. Network Infrastructure Engineers work with and learn a wide variety of premier technology solutions including routing, switching, firewalls, and collaboration systems.
Engineers work on the frontlines with hundreds of customers to design, implement, and maintain advanced technology solutions for small- and medium-sized businesses in northern New England. Engineers work to keep customers systems secure and reliable while also enabling the power of technology to help businesses grow.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with a strong networking and firewall background, desire to learn, and is committed to engineering excellence and exceptional customer service. The right candidate will have outstanding problem-solving skills, an aptitude for learning new technologies, and an ability to work both independently and as part of a strong team.
- Be accountable for planning, implementing, managing, and troubleshooting network infrastructure and collaboration solutions.
- Partner with clients, vendors, and other internal teams to drive good outcomes.
- Employ and improve Systems Engineering standard methodologies to deliver consistent and effective solutions.
- Mentor, teach, and share knowledge and guidance that improves the overall team effectiveness and enhances the team’s growth as well as adopt a culture of continuous improvement and one team mentality.
- Continuously adapt to new technologies, regularly learning new technologies while building depth in other areas.
- Candidates must have reliable transportation and a clean driving record and be able to work outside normal business hours. *
*This position requires travel and onsite engagement in New England and has an on-call rotation, schedule will be determined with Supervisor
What We’re Looking For
- Current technical certifications from the following vendors strongly preferred:
- Cisco (CCNA or CCNP)
- Fortinet (NSE 4-8)
- Two years of recent hands-on experience with Cisco routing/switching/wireless, Fortinet firewalls, Cisco Unified Communications or equivalent required.
- Experience implementing, managing, and troubleshooting network Infrastructure and solving problems on various networking and collaboration technology platforms.
- Knowledge of the OSI Model and other networking principles; broad knowledge of security including protection, detection, and incident response.
- Possess strong customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills, demonstrating a high level of professionalism.
- Be a great teammate, is accountable to assigned projects, and is results-driven to meet customer needs.
- Effective critical thinking, analytical, and problem-solving skills to obtain business solutions.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and time management skills, ability to adapt to changing priorities, as needed.
Our Benefits & Culture
Systems Engineering is located in the heart of the Old Port in downtown Portland, beloved for a lively arts & entertainment scene, and an abundance of local craft breweries. We are positioned centrally to the waterfront, trails, parks, and restaurants, and have been repeatedly voted one of Maine’s Best Places to Work. We pride ourselves on being active in the community and proud to be 100% employee-owned. It is a great place to work because the team cares about each other and the company’s future.
- Employee Ownership (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) – Join our team of employee-owners and directly contribute to the strategic direction, growth, workplace culture, and future of the company.
- Employer 401k matching contributions.
- Competitive medical, dental, life, and disability insurance.
- Paid Time Off starting with 17 days PTO, nine paid holidays, two weeks paid parental leave, and paid community volunteer time.
- Engaging wellness programs, including onsite health coaching, fitness facility, and various company-sponsored teams and events.
- Career mobility, professional development, and training as well as certification opportunities.
- Dynamic, fun, and active community culture.
- Business casual work attire.
- Free paid parking in downtown Portland, just a couple blocks from our office.